A mother frantically calls the emergency room (ER) asking what to do about her 3-year-old girl who was found eating pills out of a bottle in the medicine cabinet.
The ER nurse tells the mother to:
A . Give the child 15 mL of syrup of ipecac.
B . Give the child 10 mL of syrup of ipecac with a sip of water.
C . Give the child 1 cup of water to induce vomiting.
D . Bring the child to the ER immediately.
(A) Before giving any emetic, the substance ingested must be known.
(B) At least 8 oz of water should be administered along with ipecac syrup to increase volume in the stomach and facilitate vomiting.
(C) Water alone will not induce vomiting. An emetic is necessary to facilitate vomiting.
(D) Vomiting should never be induced in an unconscious client because of the risk of aspiration.
Leave a Reply